The Machine Inspection Specialist performs machine inspections and obtains SOS oil samples to Caterpillar’s specifications. Evaluates and notes all safety and operational issues with the machines being inspected. Assist as needed with the Preventive Maintenance Technician performing services on customer job sites.
This is a field position working largely independently and out of a company-provided vehicle. The Machine Inspection Specialist works in a variety of customer locations and reports to the Supervisor of Equipment Management Solutions.
- High school diploma (or equivalent) required.
- 1 – 2 years of prior experience in evaluating and in completion of inspections on machines is desired.
- Able to work a flexible schedule and overtime, including nights, weekends and over-night travel as required, and must be able to work independently in remote locations.
- Must display professionalism, integrity, adaptability and a strong customer service focus.
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency and self-initiative, and the personal drive to be successful.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class “B”, and DOT medical card as required for operating regulated vehicle.
- Must have a basic set of hand tools.
- Must be able to travel as required.
The Machine Inspection Specialist should be able to read and interpret technical instructions, safety manuals, service manuals, company policies and procedures. Perform equipment inspections to identify safety and operational defects/issues. Remove and install various external machine components. Evaluate customer equipment for repairs.
- Know and follow all Company and customer safety rules, including maintaining a safe, clean, and orderly work area, fully participating in Company accident prevention and safety improvement activities.
- Must have the physical ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including protective glasses, protective gloves, and protective clothing and footwear as required by the job.
- Respond to all customer requests in a professional and courteous, timely and responsive manner.
- Maintain a clean, professional personal appearance at all time, meeting all Company standards for professionalism.
- Keep the Manager continually apprised to assist in answering customer questions and problems when necessary.
- Supports the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: honesty, integrity, and respect while delivering high quality solutions and maintaining a positive attitude and a safe work environment.
- Accepts responsibility for mistakes or problems. Maintains “ownership” of assigned tasks.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and a high level of personal credibility and integrity with customers, management, and dealership co-workers.
- Must be dependable. Consistently arrives at work on time when scheduled, fully ready to work.
- Maintain company and product confidentiality.
- Attend and participate in all meetings, trainings, and activities as required.
- Adhere to all Company policies and departmental procedures and rules.
- All other duties as assigned.
- All locations offer clean, safe working conditions; however, the position may work in situations where hazards may be present. Therefore, a detailed knowledge of equipment and engines is a must as well as a demonstrated proficiency in service and repair of equipment using standard safety procedures.
- Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Must be honest, reliable, and dependable, and display a positive attitude.
- Must be able to work well under occasional pressure or within work standards and deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and/or with others in a team environment.
- Able to work standard five-day schedule, including daily overtime and occasional weekend hours as needed.
- Meet all eligibility requirements to drive Company vehicles, including a current, valid driver’s license issued by the resident State, and maintain current motor vehicle liability insurance.
- Pass pre-employment background check, physical exam including drug screen, and meet all physical requirements for the position.
- Able to lift 20-50 pounds occasionally.
Thompson Machinery is a Caterpillar equipment dealer serving the middle and west Tennessee and northern Mississippi region. Since 1944, Thompson Machinery has been an industry leader, renowned for superior services, innovative solutions, and lasting relationships. Serving a broad range of customers in the construction, forestry, mining, industrial, governmental and agricultural industries, as well as trucking, power generation, and marine businesses, Thompson Machinery is a total equipment solution provider.
Thompson Machinery offers competitive salaries and a complete benefits package.
Compensation for this position will be commensurate with candidate experience and background.
Thompson Machinery is an equal opportunity employer.