The Apprenticeship Technician position is an entry-level and early-career training position designed to develop skilled Journeyman Level Technicians through Thompson Machinery’s Technician Apprenticeship Program. The program is set up whereas a student will rotate every other week for 24 weeks in the LaVergne Training Center and at a host Thompson store, working with one of Thompson Machinery’s Mentors. There will be a total of 12 weeks classroom instruction and 12 weeks of hands-on training. Along with classroom responsibilities, each Apprenticeship Technician is responsible for set up, repair, service, diagnostics, preventive maintenance, and installation of replacement parts on Caterpillar diesel powered construction equipment. This is a Mentee technician position working largely with guidance from Service Mentors and Thompson Training Department staff. The Apprenticeship Technician reports to members of the Training department and his/her Mentor.
This is an exciting career opportunity for motivated individuals interested in learning Caterpillar’s Construction Technician trade. The Apprenticeship Technician – Level 1 will build upon previous technical education and technical work experience to further develop specific technical skills through a defined curriculum of classroom technical training, on-line training courses and the Mentor/Mentee relationship. In addition, instruction will be augmented with significant on-the-job training and work experiences within the Product Support Department at Thompson Machinery.
Ultimately, the goal of the Apprenticeship Program is to reach Journeyman Technician status, be able to work with little assistance to complete work orders and various tasks within the Construction side of Thompson Machinery.
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- ** Obtain a set of basic mechanic hand tools, including drives, sockets, and wrenches.
- Demonstrate professionalism, integrity, adaptability, and a strong customer service focus.
- Excellent communication skills, with the willingness to work with a Service Mentor.
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and self-initiative, and the personal drive to be successful.
- Possess and maintain a current, valid state driver’s license.
** Graduates of the program have the potential to own a Thompson Toolbox after meeting required employment timelines and performance standards.
The Apprenticeship Technician should be able to learn to read and interpret technical instruction, service and safety manuals, company policies and procedures, work with mechanical, hydraulic, and electric/electronic schematics and wiring diagrams, and demonstrate proficiency in the use of test equipment. The position is responsible for high quality academic standings, maintaining a high quality of morals, and sending reports in a timely manner, thus ensuring maximum value for work performed.
- Know and follow all Company and customer safety rules, including maintaining a safe, clean, and orderly work area, fully participating in Company accident prevention and safety improvement activities.
- Must have the physical ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including protective glasses, protective gloves, and protective clothing and footwear as required by the job.
- Respond to all customer requests in a professional and courteous, timely and responsive manner.
- Maintain a clean, professional personal appearance at all time, meeting all Company standards for professionalism.
- Keep the Manager continually apprised to assist in answering customer questions and problems when necessary.
- Supports the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: honesty, integrity, and respect while delivering high quality solutions and maintaining a positive attitude and a safe work environment.
- Accepts responsibility for mistakes or problems. Maintains “ownership” of assigned tasks.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and a high level of personal credibility and integrity with customers, management, and dealership co-workers.
- Must be dependable. Consistently arrives at work on time when scheduled, fully ready to work.
- Maintain company and product confidentiality.
- Attend and participate in all meetings, trainings, and activities as required.
- Adhere to all Company policies and departmental procedures and rules.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Maintain a clean, safe working environment.
- Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Must be honest, reliable, and dependable, and display a positive attitude.
- Must be able to work well under occasional pressure or within work standards and deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and/or with others in a team environment.
- Able to work standard five-day schedule, including daily overtime and occasional weekend hours as needed.
- Meet all eligibility requirements to drive Company vehicles, including a current, valid driver’s license issued by the resident State, and maintain current motor vehicle liability insurance.
- Pass pre-employment background check, physical exam including drug screen, and meet all physical requirements for the position.
- Able to lift up to 50-80 pounds occasionally.
About the Company:
Thompson Machinery is a Caterpillar equipment dealer serving the middle and west Tennessee and northern Mississippi region. Since 1944, Thompson Machinery has been an industry leader, renowned for superior solutions, lasting relationships, and stronger communities. Serving a broad range of customers in the construction, forestry, mining, industrial, governmental, and agricultural industries, as well as trucking, power generation, and marine businesses, Thompson Machinery is a total equipment solution provider.
Thompson Machinery offers competitive salaries and a complete benefits package.
Compensation for this position will be commensurate with candidate experience and background.
Thompson Machinery is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
Listing is current as of Mar 04, 2021 03:30 AM