The Machinist/Fabrication Welder position is responsible for applying various welding techniques to cut, join, fabricate and repair metal or other weldable materials in support of heavy equipment repairs and services. The position is also responsible for using various tools for machining tasks on lathes, lapping, milling or boring equipment. Organizes projects from blueprints, sketches, working drawings, and/or verbal instructions. Prepares and completes work using knowledge of mechanics, mathematics, metal properties, layout and machining procedures.
This is a skilled journey-level position requiring ability to design and fabricate parts and equipment to meet unusual or special customer needs or special jigs and holding fixtures for use in equipment repair activities. Reading and interpreting technical shop manuals and electronic reference materials is required. Work is performed primarily in company service shops but may also include customer field locations.
Candidates must have experience with standard welding and fabrication equipment, including MIG, TIG, electric arc, heliarc, oxyacetylene, plasma cutter, saw, drill press, grinders, and metal brakes. Welds in flat, horizontal, vertical, and overhead directions, and performs structural analysis and reinforcement repairs.
Should have working familiarization with heat treat principles, cutting, forming, layout, setup, measurement, and light machining and assembly of components and related equipment.
- Three or more years of previous journey-level welding and fabrication experience and machinist experience.
- Able to work standard five-day work schedules, including daily overtime, and occasional weekend hours as required.
- Must possess a complete set of basic fabrication welder hand tools.
- Must develop functional ability in the use of proprietary (i.e. Caterpillar, etc.) software.
- Demonstrate reading blueprint, laying out and building example from blueprint.
- Demonstrate proficiency in operating standard honing and boring equipment.
- Demonstrate proficiency in operating standard horizontal and vertical milling equipment.
- Demonstrate proficiency in operating standard flame metal spray equipment.
- Demonstrate proficiency in operating standard surface grinding equipment.
- Demonstrate proficiency in operating standard line boring equipment.
- Draw, design & fabricate pieces to build and/or repair components.
- Perform horizontal and vertical mill operations.
- Perform various capacity lathe operations.
- Prepare and set-up machining equipment. Performs maintenance on tools and equipment
- Read and interpret prints and drawings for fabrication projects.
- Know and follow all Company and customer safety rules, including maintaining a safe, clean, and orderly work area, fully participating in Company accident prevention and safety improvement activities.
- Must have the physical ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including protective glasses, protective gloves, and protective clothing and footwear as required by the job.
- Respond to all customer requests in a professional and courteous, timely and responsive manner.
- Maintain a clean, professional personal appearance at all time, meeting all Company standards for professionalism.
- Keep the Manager continually apprised to assist in answering customer questions and problems when necessary.
- Supports the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: honesty, integrity, and respect while delivering high quality solutions and maintaining a positive attitude and a safe work environment.
- Accepts responsibility for mistakes or problems. Maintains “ownership” of assigned tasks.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and a high level of personal credibility and integrity with customers, management, and dealership co-workers.
- Must be dependable. Consistently arrives at work on time when scheduled, fully ready to work.
- Maintain company and product confidentiality.
- Attend and participate in all meetings, trainings, and activities as required.
- Adhere to all Company policies and departmental procedures and rules.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Maintain a clean, safe working environment.
- Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Must be honest, reliable, and dependable, and display a positive attitude.
- Must be able to work well under occasional pressure or within work standards and deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and/or with others in a team environment.
- Able to work standard five-day schedule, including daily overtime and occasional weekend hours as needed.
- Meet all eligibility requirements to drive Company vehicles, including a current, valid driver’s license issued by the resident State, and maintain current motor vehicle liability insurance.
- Pass pre-employment background check, physical exam including drug screen, and meet all physical requirements for the position.
- Able to lift 20-50 pounds occasionally.
About the Company:
Thompson Machinery is a Caterpillar equipment dealer serving the middle and west Tennessee and northern Mississippi region. Since 1944, Thompson Machinery has been an industry leader, renowned for superior solutions, lasting relationships and stronger communities. Serving a broad range of customers in the construction, forestry, mining, industrial, governmental and agricultural industries, as well as trucking, power generation, and marine businesses, Thompson Machinery is a total equipment solution provider.
Thompson Machinery offers competitive salaries and a complete benefits package.
Compensation for this position will be commensurate with candidate experience and background.
Thompson Machinery is an equal opportunity employer.Apply Now
Listing is current as of Jan 17, 2020 04:30 PM