Marine Engine Technician
The Marine Engine Technician position is responsible for installation, preventive maintenance, diagnostics, repair and service of diesel-powered marine engines, power generation and propulsion systems. Work will include standard mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic repairs and complete system overhauls on Caterpillar powered equipment.
This is a skilled field service technician position who works largely independently, with a company-provided field service truck. Work is performed at a variety of customer locations, including industrial and commercial facilities, and on-board marine crafts serving commercial transportation and pleasure craft customers on waterways. Travel and overtime opportunities require scheduling flexibility and the ability to be away from home for periods of time.
The Marine Engine Technician reports to a Commercial Services Manager located in Memphis, Tennessee, and/or Tupelo or Greenwood Mississippi, and will serve customers who are in or conducting business throughout Tennessee and Mississippi and the associated inland rivers and waterways.
- Marine Engine Technology training or Power Production and Maintenance training through accredited technical schools or military experience preferred. High school diploma required.
- Two or more years of previous hands-on marine engine diagnostics and advanced troubleshooting experience working on Caterpillar diesel powered engines and generator sets. Candidates with limited marine engine experience, but with strong relevant engine experience will be considered.
- Able to work flexible schedules, including nights, weekends and on-call hours as required, and must be able to work independently in remote locations.
- Must demonstrate professionalism, integrity, adaptability, and a strong customer service focus.
- Demonstrated sense of urgency and self-initiative, and the personal drive to be successful.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Possess and maintain a current, valid state driver’s license with a current DOT medical card as required for towing.
- Must have or be able to obtain Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC).
- Must be able to travel as required including outside of the territory (averaging up to 50%).
The Marine Engine Technician will read and interpret technical instructions, safety manuals, service manuals, company policies and procedures. Works with diesel powered engines and components; electric, electronic, and hydraulic schematics and diagrams; and demonstrates proficiency in the use of test equipment. Provides advanced troubleshooting and high-quality repair service on marine engines and equipment, responds to customer needs in a positive, safe, and timely manner, ensures maximum value for work performed.
Marine Engine Technicians have safety, customer satisfaction, and business responsibility within the marine customer base. As technical expert and primary customer support contact, they are responsible for communicating to provide an exceptional customer experience as they identify, troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair marine engines and related engine mechanical systems.
- Know and follow all Company and customer safety rules, including maintaining a safe, clean, and orderly work area, fully participating in Company accident prevention and safety improvement activities.
- Must have the physical ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including protective glasses, protective gloves, and protective clothing and footwear as required by the job.
- Respond to all customer requests in a professional and courteous, timely and responsive manner.
- Maintain a clean, professional personal appearance at all time, meeting all Company standards for professionalism.
- Keep the Manager continually apprised to assist in answering customer questions and problems when necessary.
- Supports the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: honesty, integrity, and respect while delivering high quality solutions and maintaining a positive attitude and a safe work environment.
- Accepts responsibility for mistakes or problems. Maintains “ownership” of assigned tasks.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and a high level of personal credibility and integrity with customers, management, and dealership co-workers.
- Must be dependable. Consistently arrives at work on time when scheduled, fully ready to work.
- Maintain company and product confidentiality.
- Attend and participate in all meetings, trainings, and activities as required.
- Adhere to all Company policies and departmental procedures and rules.
- All other duties as assigned.
- All locations offer clean, safe working conditions; however, the position may work in situations where hazards may be present. Therefore, a detailed knowledge of equipment and engines is a must as well as a demonstrated proficiency in service and repair of equipment using standard safety procedures.
- Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Must be honest, reliable, and dependable, and display a positive attitude.
- Must be able to work well under occasional pressure or within work standards and deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and/or with others in a team environment.
- Able to work standard five-day schedule, including daily overtime and occasional weekend hours as needed.
- Meet all eligibility requirements to drive Company vehicles, including a current, valid driver’s license issued by the resident State, and maintain current motor vehicle liability insurance.
- Pass pre-employment background check, physical exam including drug screen, and meet all physical requirements for the position.
- Able to lift up to 20-50 pounds occasionally.
About the Company:
Thompson Machinery is a Caterpillar equipment dealer serving the middle and west Tennessee and northern Mississippi region. Since 1944, Thompson Machinery has been an industry leader, renowned for superior solutions, lasting relationships, and stronger communities. Serving a broad range of customers in the construction, forestry, mining, industrial, governmental, and agricultural industries, as well as trucking, power generation, and marine businesses, Thompson Machinery is a total equipment solution provider.
Thompson Machinery offers competitive salaries and a complete benefits package.
Compensation for this position will be commensurate with candidate experience and background.
Thompson Machinery is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
Listing is current as of Oct 21, 2021 06:45 PM