Quantum Computing Research Assistant
The Quantum Computing Research Assistant works with the staff of Thompson Machinery and IonQ to develop quantum machine learning algorithms and application prototypes to solve challenging business problems. Applicants will receive training and on-going coaching.
Visit https://www.ionq.com/ and https://www.thompsonmachinery.com/ to learn more about these innovative companies.
- Pursuing a degree in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Data Science, or related field. Preference given to Ph.D. students but talented undergraduates and Masters students are also welcomed.
- Strong linear algebra skills and solid statistical background.
- Applicants must have familiarity with Python.
- Experience with common machine learning libraries such as scikit-learn, pyTorch, etc. is a plus.
- Familiarity with database tables and concepts as well as writing basic SQL is a plus.
- Familiarity with support vector machines (SVM) and principal component analysis (PCA) is a plus.
- High self-motivation and enthusiasm to work on a team to solve problems using leading-edge quantum computing technology.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Strong organizational skills are essential.
- Ability to work at Thompson Machinery’s corporate location in LaVergne, TN for 12 to 24 hours per week. This schedule is highly flexible to accommodate academic demands.
- Work with subject matter experts at Thompson Machinery to understand business processes and identify potential data sources for use in machine learning model development.
- Perform data engineering tasks by collecting data from disparate sources, consolidating it into a central database, and cleaning it to remove errors and missing data.
- Normalize and tag data for consumption by the models.
- Develop a proof of concept model using support vector machines (SVM). Additional models using other approaches may be developed as time permits.
- Attend monthly lectures and office hours provided by IonQ to support the team in continuous learning.
- Collaborate with IonQ and Thompson Machinery domain experts to migrate the proof of concept model to a quantum framework using Qiskit and IonQ’s quantum simulator.
- Deliver results in a report and assist with the creation of a paper for publication. You will be given credit for your work.
- Know and follow all Company and customer safety rules, including maintaining a safe, clean, and orderly work area, fully participating in Company accident prevention and safety improvement activities.
- Must have the physical ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including protective glasses, protective gloves, and protective clothing and footwear as required by the job.
- Respond to all customer requests in a professional and courteous, timely and responsive manner.
- Maintain a clean, professional personal appearance at all times, meeting all Company standards for professionalism.
- Keep the Manager continually apprised to assist in answering customer questions and problems when necessary.
- Supports the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: honesty, integrity, and respect while delivering high quality solutions and maintaining a positive attitude and a safe work environment.
- Accepts responsibility for mistakes or problems. Maintains “ownership” of assigned tasks.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and a high level of personal credibility and integrity with customers, management, and dealership co-workers.
- Must be dependable. Consistently arrives at work on time when scheduled, fully ready to work.
- Maintain company and product confidentiality.
- Attend and participate in all meetings, training, and activities as required.
- Adhere to all Company policies and departmental procedures and rules.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Maintain a clean, safe working environment.
- Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Must be honest, reliable, and dependable, and display a positive attitude.
- Must be able to work well under occasional pressure or within work standards and deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and/or with others in a team environment.
- Able to work standard five-day schedule, including daily overtime and occasional weekend hours as needed.
- Meet all eligibility requirements to drive Company vehicles, including a current, valid driver’s license issued by the resident State, and maintain current motor vehicle liability insurance.
- Pass pre-employment background check, physical exam including drug screen, and meet all physical requirements for the position.
- Able to lift up to 20-50 pounds occasionally.
About the Company:
Thompson Machinery is a Caterpillar equipment dealer serving the middle and west Tennessee and northern Mississippi region. Since 1944, Thompson Machinery has been an industry leader, renowned for superior solutions, lasting relationships, and stronger communities. Serving a broad range of customers in the construction, forestry, mining, industrial, governmental, and agricultural industries, as well as trucking, power generation, and marine businesses, Thompson Machinery is a total equipment solution provider.
Thompson Machinery offers competitive salaries and a complete benefits package.
Compensation for this position will be commensurate with candidate experience and background.
Thompson Machinery is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
Listing is current as of Jan 27, 2023 03:45 AM