The Technical Communicator (TC) supports service technicians through one-on-one, phone or written communication. Will research technical and service issues (bulletins, schematics, internet, etc.) and present efficient repair solutions, and creates, locates, and maintains resources for technical support. This position may be based in either the LaVergne or Memphis, Tennessee locations, and will serve technicians and service personnel across the Thompson Machinery territory.
- High School diploma or equivalent required, with 3 – 5 years prior relevant experience preferred.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with customers, co-workers, vendors, or managers related to job functions.
- Must develop functional ability in the use of proprietary (i.e., Caterpillar, etc.) software and/or technologies.
- Demonstrate proficiency in Caterpillar machine repair and troubleshooting.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of failure analysis methods and processes.
- Demonstrate proficiency with instruction, mentorship, and coaching skills by training junior technicians and customers as needed.
- Must be able to communicate via email effectively and efficiently (MS Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.)
- Must be able to use available land and cell phone systems effectively.
- Maintain valid driver’s license from the state of personal residency and comply with company driving policy.
- Understand and remember all written and verbal instructions. Carry out instructions accurately.
- Functions as a service specialist with all Caterpillar brand equipment offered by the company and the service specifications, repair techniques and technical guidance required to effectively service this equipment.
- Will work closely with the Technical Training department on equipment related technologies and equipment updates as models evolve.
- Evaluate and communicate findings on failed components using applied failure analysis.
- Evaluate and troubleshoot customer and company equipment for repairs.
- Interpret test results from service technicians, lab reports or other analytical tools.
- Research and interpret components, diagrams, and systems for equipment repairs.
- Review and maintain familiarity with service letters, technical bulletins and any other publications or information sources from Caterpillar and other vendors.
- Uses personal and company tools and resources effectively. Demonstrates analysis and troubleshooting aptitude by use of thoughtful and intelligent problem-solving processes.
- Work independent of supervision on assigned tasks. Move between projects as scheduling requires.
- Maintain a constant awareness of hazards inherent to work within this industry.
- Know and follow all company and customer safety rules, including maintaining a safe, clean, and orderly work area, fully participating in Company accident prevention and safety improvement activities.
- Must have the physical ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including protective glasses, protective gloves, and protective clothing and footwear as required by the job.
- Respond to all customer requests in a professional and courteous, timely and responsive manner.
- Maintain a clean, professional personal appearance at all time, meeting all Company standards for professionalism.
- Keep the Manager continually apprised to assist in answering customer questions and problems when necessary.
- Supports the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: honesty, integrity, and respect while delivering high quality solutions and maintaining a positive attitude and a safe work environment.
- Accepts responsibility for mistakes or problems. Maintains “ownership” of assigned tasks.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and a high level of personal credibility and integrity with customers, management, and dealership co-workers.
- Must be dependable. Consistently arrives at work on time when scheduled, fully ready to work.
- Maintain company and product confidentiality.
- Attend and participate in all meetings, trainings, and activities as required.
- Adhere to all Company policies and departmental procedures and rules.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Maintain a clean, safe working environment.
- Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Must be honest, reliable, and dependable, and display a positive attitude.
- Must be able to work well under occasional pressure or within work standards and deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and/or with others in a team environment.
- Able to work standard five-day schedule, including daily overtime and occasional weekend hours as needed.
- Meet all eligibility requirements to drive Company vehicles, including a current, valid driver’s license issued by the resident State, and maintain current motor vehicle liability insurance.
- Pass pre-employment background check, physical exam including drug screen, and meet all physical requirements for the position.
- Able to lift up to 20-50 pounds occasionally.
About the Company:
Thompson Machinery is a Caterpillar equipment dealer serving the middle and west Tennessee and northern Mississippi region. Since 1944, Thompson Machinery has been an industry leader, renowned for superior solutions, lasting relationships, and stronger communities. Serving a broad range of customers in the construction, forestry, mining, industrial, governmental, and agricultural industries, as well as trucking, power generation, and marine businesses, Thompson Machinery is a total equipment solution provider.
Thompson Machinery offers competitive salaries and a complete benefits package.
Compensation for this position will be commensurate with candidate experience and background.
Thompson Machinery is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
Listing is current as of May 19, 2022 05:45 AM