WHAT IS THINK BIG?
Thompson Machinery and five other Cat dealers throughout the Southeast sponsor the Heavy Equipment Dealer Service Technology program at South Georgia Technical College in Americus, GA, as part of Caterpillar’s ThinkBIG service technician training program.
The two-year ThinkBIG program allows students to earn an Associate Degree in Heavy Equipment Dealer Service Technology. Students begin the program in August and complete it during June of the second year.
Since the ThinkBIG program results in a college degree, you must pass an entrance exam to be admitted to the college. The minimum acceptable scores for three common pre-admission tests are shown below.
Reading: 17; English: 16; Math: 19
Reading: 450; Math: 440
Reading: 79; Writing: 62; Algebra: 37
PAYING FOR THE PROGRAM
After you are enrolled in the program, Thompson will pay your tuition and your room & board for the first semester. You will be responsible for your books and supplies.
For the remaining semesters, Thompson will pay your tuition; you will be responsible for room & board, books, and supplies. However, during your paid internships you should earn enough money to cover these expenses and more.
Your Thompson Advisor will discuss with you in more detail your costs during school, work obligations after graduation, and pay rate during the internship.
HOW TO APPLY
To start the process, contact a Thompson Advisor to indicate your interest. He will ask you some questions to determine if you are eligible for the program. If you are eligible, he will tell you the next step in the process. It’s that easy.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I APPLY?
After you’ve indicated that you’re interested in the ThinkBIG program, we’ll work with you as you complete the following steps in the process:
1. Get a passing score on one of the required pre-admission tests
2. Take our internal assessments (Bennett Mechanical Comprehension Test, the Wonderlic Personnel Test, and a manual dexterity assessment)
3. Interview with our service manager in the store where you’ll complete the shop internships that are part of the program
4. Visit the South Georgia Technical College campus with your Thompson advisor to learn about campus life.
To enter the program, you must have a high school diploma (or equivalent) and be 18 years old by the time you begin your first internship. You must also have a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record and be able to pass a background check, a physical exam, and a drug screen.
HOW TO STAY IN TOUCH WITH US
If you know you want to apply for the ThinkBIG program, or if you’re just thinking about it, stay in touch with us.
• Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ThompsonMachinery to get updates about ThinkBIG in your Facebook News Feed
• Visit the Think BIG page on our website at thinkbig.tmcat.com to join our email list and receive updates about the ThinkBIG program
HOW TO CONTACT A THOMPSON ADVISOR
You can contact Tony Tice, Product Support Training Manager, or Philip Welch, Thompson Technical Services.
Call Tony at 662-840-4987
Call Philip at 615-251-8631
Email either one at: email@example.com