Electric Power Generation (EPG) Technician
The Electric Power Generation (EPG) Technician position is responsible for installation, preventive maintenance, diagnostics, repair and service of diesel powered standby electrical generation equipment. This is a skilled field service technician position who works largely independently, with a company-provided field service truck. Work is performed at a variety of customer locations, including industrial, commercial, hospital, and residential sites. The EPG Technician reports to a Commercial Services Manager, and serves customers typically located throughout the Middle and West Tennessee and Northern Mississippi territory.
- Power Generation Technology training or Power Production and Maintenance training through accredited technical schools or military experience preferred. High school diploma required.
- Two or more years of previous hands-on electrical diagnostics and advanced troubleshooting experience working on 8.5kW – 2,500kW diesel powered generators. Candidates with limited electrical experience, but with strong engine experience will be considered.
- Able to work flexible schedules, including nights, weekends and on-call hours as required, and must be able to work independently in remote locations.
- Must demonstrate professionalism, integrity, adaptability and a strong customer service focus.
- Demonstrated sense of urgency and self-initiative, and the personal drive to be successful.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Possess and maintain a current, valid state driver’s license with a current DOT medical card as required for towing.
- Must possess basic set of industrial tools, including industrial hand tools, air tools, torque wrenches, and multimeters.
- Must be able to travel as required generally within territory (averaging up to 20%).
The EPG Technician will read and interpret technical instructions, safety manuals, service manuals, company policies and procedures. Works with electric and electronic schematics, wiring diagrams and ladder logic; and demonstrates an understanding of single phase and three phase circuit theory and AC/DC circuit theory as well as proficient in the use of test equipment. Electrical switchgear experience is helpful. Provides advanced troubleshooting and high-quality repair service on power generation, switch gear and uninterrupted power source (UPS) systems, responding to customer needs in a positive, safe and timely manner, ensuring maximum value for work performed.
EPG Technicians have safety, customer satisfaction, and business responsibility within a branch region. As technical expert and primary customer support contact, they are responsible for communicating to provide an exceptional customer experience as they identify, troubleshoot, diagnose and repair electrical generator systems and related engine mechanical systems.
- Know and follow all Company and customer safety rules, including maintaining a safe, clean, and orderly work area, fully participating in Company accident prevention and safety improvement activities.
- Must have the physical ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including protective glasses, protective gloves, and protective clothing and footwear as required by the job.
- Respond to all customer requests in a professional and courteous, timely and responsive manner.
- Maintain a clean, professional personal appearance at all time, meeting all Company standards for professionalism.
- Keep the Manager continually apprised to assist in answering customer questions and problems when necessary.
- Supports the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: honesty, integrity, and respect while delivering high quality solutions and maintaining a positive attitude and a safe work environment.
- Accepts responsibility for mistakes or problems. Maintains “ownership” of assigned tasks.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and a high level of personal credibility and integrity with customers, management, and dealership co-workers.
- Must be dependable. Consistently arrives at work on time when scheduled, fully ready to work.
- Maintain company and product confidentiality.
- Attend and participate in all meetings, trainings, and activities as required.
- Adhere to all Company policies and departmental procedures and rules.
- All other duties as assigned.
- All locations offer clean, safe working conditions; however, the position may work in situations where hazards may be present. Therefore, a detailed knowledge of equipment and engines is a must as well as a demonstrated proficiency in service and repair of equipment using standard safety procedures.
- Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Must be honest, reliable, and dependable, and display a positive attitude.
- Must be able to work well under occasional pressure or within work standards and deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and/or with others in a team environment.
- Able to work standard five-day schedule, including daily overtime and occasional weekend hours as needed.
- Meet all eligibility requirements to drive Company vehicles, including a current, valid driver’s license issued by the resident State, and maintain current motor vehicle liability insurance.
- Pass pre-employment background check, physical exam including drug screen, and meet all physical requirements for the position.
- Able to lift 20-50 pounds occasionally.
About the Company:
Thompson Machinery is a Caterpillar equipment dealer serving the middle and west Tennessee and northern Mississippi region. Since 1944, Thompson Machinery has been an industry leader, renowned for superior solutions, lasting relationships and stronger communities. Serving a broad range of customers in the construction, forestry, mining, industrial, governmental and agricultural industries, as well as trucking, power generation, and marine businesses, Thompson Machinery is a total equipment solution provider.
Thompson Machinery offers competitive salaries and a complete benefits package.
Compensation for this position will be commensurate with candidate experience and background.
Thompson Machinery is an equal opportunity employer.