Field Service Technician – Construction Equipment
Field Service Technicians are responsible for preventive maintenance, diagnostics, repair and service of Caterpillar diesel powered construction equipment. This is a skilled field service mechanic position working largely independently and out of a company-provided field service truck, performing at a variety of customer locations and service shops. Field Service Technician reports to a Branch Manager, and serves customers typically located throughout the region.
- Field Service Technician training and/or equipment service and maintenance training through accredited technical schools, equipment dealerships or manufacturer training preferred. High school diploma required.
- Five (5) or more years’ experience with equipment diagnostics and advanced troubleshooting on construction equipment. Candidates with limited equipment experience, but with strong engine experience will be considered.
- Able to work flexible schedules, including nights, weekends and on-call hours as required, and must be able to work independently in remote locations.
- Must demonstrate professionalism, integrity, adaptability and a strong customer service focus.
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and self-initiative, and the personal drive to be successful.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Possess and maintain a current, valid state driver’s license with a current DOT medical card as required for operating service trucks and for towing.
- Must have a basic set of industrial tools, including but not limited to industrial hand tools, air tools, torque wrenches, and multimeters.
- Able to travel in an assigned region, and work overtime, weekends, and/or holidays, sometimes with short notice. Overnight travel may occasionally be required (averaging up to 25%).
Field Service Technicians should be able to read and interpret technical instructions, safety manuals, service manuals, company policies and procedures. Works with electric/electronic and hydraulic system schematics, wiring diagrams, and equipment service manuals, and should be proficient in the use of test equipment. The position is responsible for providing advanced troubleshooting and high quality repair service on construction equipment, engines and powertrains to respond to customer needs in a positive, safe and timely manner, and ensuring maximum value.
Field Service Technicians have safety, customer satisfaction, and business responsibilities. They identify, troubleshoot, diagnose and provide quality repairs of Caterpillar equipment and related engine mechanical systems. They are technical experts and a primary support contact, responsible for communicating with customers to provide exceptional customer experience.
- Know and follow all Company and customer safety rules, including maintaining a safe, clean, and orderly work area, fully participating in Company accident prevention and safety improvement activities.
- Must have the physical ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including protective glasses, protective gloves, and protective clothing and footwear as required by the job.
- Respond to all customer requests in a professional and courteous, timely and responsive manner.
- Maintain a clean, professional personal appearance at all time, meeting all Company standards for professionalism.
- Keep the Manager continually apprised to assist in answering customer questions and problems when necessary.
- Supports the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: honesty, integrity, and respect while delivering high quality solutions and maintaining a positive attitude and a safe work environment.
- Accepts responsibility for mistakes or problems. Maintains “ownership” of assigned tasks.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and a high level of personal credibility and integrity with customers, management, and dealership co-workers.
- Must be dependable. Consistently arrives at work on time when scheduled, fully ready to work.
- Maintain company and product confidentiality.
- Attend and participate in all meetings, trainings, and activities as required.
- Adhere to all Company policies and departmental procedures and rules.
- All other duties as assigned.
- All locations offer clean, safe working conditions; however, the position may work in situations where hazards may be present. Therefore, a detailed knowledge of equipment and engines is a must as well as a demonstrated proficiency in service and repair of equipment using standard safety procedures.
- Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Must be honest, reliable, and dependable, and display a positive attitude.
- Must be able to work well under occasional pressure or within work standards and deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and/or with others in a team environment.
- Able to work standard five-day schedule, including daily overtime and occasional weekend hours as needed.
- Meet all eligibility requirements to drive Company vehicles, including a current, valid driver’s license issued by the resident State, and maintain current motor vehicle liability insurance.
- Pass pre-employment background check, physical exam including drug screen, and meet all physical requirements for the position.
- Able to lift 20-50 pounds occasionally.
About the Company:
Thompson Machinery is a Caterpillar equipment dealer serving the middle and west Tennessee and northern Mississippi region. Since 1944, Thompson Machinery has been an industry leader, renowned for superior solutions, lasting relationships and stronger communities. Serving a broad range of customers in the construction, forestry, mining, industrial, governmental and agricultural industries, as well as trucking, power generation, and marine businesses, Thompson Machinery is a total equipment solution provider.
Thompson Machinery offers competitive salaries and a complete benefits package.
Compensation for this position will be commensurate with candidate experience and background.
Thompson Machinery is an equal opportunity employer.
Listing is current as of Jan 21, 2020 10:30 AM