Truck Diesel Engine Mechanic
The Truck Diesel Engine Mechanic position is responsible for set up, repair, service, diagnostics, preventive maintenance, and installation of replacement parts on diesel powered over-the-road truck engines. These are skilled technician positions working largely independently or with guidance from service mentors. The Truck Diesel Engine Mechanic reports to Service Shop Manager and serve customers located in company service shops.
- Diesel engine, construction equipment and/or truck engine training through accredited technical schools or relevant military experience preferred. High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Two or more years of previous hands-on equipment and/or engine experience, diagnostics and troubleshooting experience working diesel powered construction equipment or truck engines.
- Able to work standard five-day work schedules, including daily overtime, and occasional weekend hours as required.
- Must possess a complete set of basic mechanic hand tools, including drives, sockets, and wrenches.
- Must demonstrate professionalism, integrity, adaptability and a strong customer service focus.
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and self-initiative, and the personal drive to be successful.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Possess and maintain a current, valid state driver’s license. CDL may be required for some positions.
The Truck Diesel Engine Mechanic should be able to read and interpret technical instruction, service and safety manuals, company policies and procedures. Works with mechanical, hydraulic and electric/electronic schematics and wiring diagrams; and demonstrates proficiency in the use of test equipment. The position is responsible for high quality repair service on equipment and engines, responding to customer needs in a positive, safe and timely manner, and ensuring maximum value for work performed.
- Know and follow all Company and customer safety rules, including maintaining a safe, clean, and orderly work area, fully participating in Company accident prevention and safety improvement activities.
- Must have the physical ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including protective glasses, protective gloves, and protective clothing and footwear as required by the job.
- Respond to all customer requests in a professional and courteous, timely and responsive manner.
- Maintain a clean, professional personal appearance at all time, meeting all Company standards for professionalism.
- Keep the Manager continually apprised to assist in answering customer questions and problems when necessary.
- Supports the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: honesty, integrity, and respect while delivering high quality solutions and maintaining a positive attitude and a safe work environment.
- Accepts responsibility for mistakes or problems. Maintains “ownership” of assigned tasks.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and a high level of personal credibility and integrity with customers, management, and dealership co-workers.
- Must be dependable. Consistently arrives at work on time when scheduled, fully ready to work.
- Maintain company and product confidentiality.
- Attend and participate in all meetings, trainings, and activities as required.
- Adhere to all Company policies and departmental procedures and rules.
- All other duties as assigned.
- All locations offer clean, safe working conditions; however, the position may work in situations where hazards may be present. Therefore, a detailed knowledge of equipment and engines is a must as well as a demonstrated proficiency in service and repair of equipment using standard safety procedures.
- Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Must be honest, reliable, and dependable, and display a positive attitude.
- Must be able to work well under occasional pressure or within work standards and deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and/or with others in a team environment.
- Able to work standard five-day schedule, including daily overtime and occasional weekend hours as needed.
- Meet all eligibility requirements to drive Company vehicles, including a current, valid driver’s license issued by the resident State, and maintain current motor vehicle liability insurance.
- Pass pre-employment background check, physical exam including drug screen, and meet all physical requirements for the position.
- Able to lift 20-50 pounds occasionally.
About the Company:
Thompson Machinery is a Caterpillar equipment dealer serving the middle and west Tennessee and northern Mississippi region. Since 1944, Thompson Machinery has been an industry leader, renowned for superior solutions, lasting relationships and stronger communities. Serving a broad range of customers in the construction, forestry, mining, industrial, governmental and agricultural industries, as well as trucking, power generation, and marine businesses, Thompson Machinery is a total equipment solution provider.
Thompson Machinery offers competitive salaries and a complete benefits package.
Compensation for this position will be commensurate with candidate experience and background.
Thompson Machinery is an equal opportunity employer.